If you’re someone who cares about Bloody Marys, then you have to take everything seriously.
That includes your tomato juice.
How to Make Tomato Juice
Sure, it’s easy to go to the store and pick up a basic can of tomato juice that’s going to get the job done. But you’re not like everyone else, you’re special. You want this magic elixir to taste like it came from you! So, why not do it yourself? Besides, everyone knows you’re a leader, not a follower.
- 5 lbs of stemmed tomatoes
- 1 quart store-bought tomato juice
- Olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 Small onions
- Whole rosemary sprig
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut tomatoes in half and arrange skin-side down on a baking sheet. Dice onions and add to sheet.
- Set rosemary and garlic cloves on baking sheet with tomatoes. Sprinkle salt over the tomatoes. Drizzle olive oil over all.
- Place baking sheet in oven and roast for one hour or until tomatoes are soft but still hold their shape.
- Remove tomatoes from oven and set aside until cooled to the touch. Discard rosemary and garlic.
- Place tomatoes and onions into a soup pot with tomato juice. Add water until vegetables are barely submerged. Bring to boil. Turn down heat, cover and let simmer until vegetables fall apart, or about 1 hour.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add to Stu’s Bloody Mary Mix with spirits for the perfect Bloody Mary!
Homemade Tomato Juice Recipe
For a quick and easy recipe, you can also make this version
This Homemade Tomato Juice Recipe Yields about 3-4 quarts.
- 5 lbs. ripe tomatoes
- 2 small onions
- Salt to Taste
Step 1: Cut your ripe tomatoes into quarters. Remove stems. Place into a soup pot.
Step 2: Dice onions and add to pot.
Step 3: Add water until vegetables are barely submerged. Bring pot to a boil. Turn down
Step 4: Turn down heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables fall apart, about 2 hours.
Step 5: Remove from heat and let cool. Strain cooled liquid into a second pot. Discard the seeds and skins.
Step 6: Add salt to taste.
Step 7: Add to Stu’s THIS IS BLOODY MARY MIX with spirits for the perfect Bloody Mary!