Want the perfect Bloody Mary drink?
You need the right Bloody Mary ingredients.
For your next weekend breakfast or brunching gathering, a bloody mary is an excellent drink choice.
In our opinion, it’s the best choice for cocktails. A restorative cocktail that is the perfect blend of sweet with savory flavors. It’s the ultimate reminder that our brunch drinks do not have to be overly sweet and only a mimosa or bellini.
But putting together the perfect bloody mary can be, how should we put it…a task.
If you want the best bloody mary, you are going to need to follow some of the ground rules:
1. Quality Ingredients: We’ve got you covered in this article and will give you the ingredients you need. But make sure you go high-quality.
But we do offer a quick warning: Check your mix for artificial and chemical ingredients. Especially for “Monosodium glutamate” also known as MSG. It can be found in most of the commercial bloody mary mixes. We recommend instead, making your own mix or finding a bloody mary mix that is made with All Natural ingredients. Like Stu’s 🙂
2. The Right Ratios: Whichever ingredients you select, if the proper proportions are off your drink will be too watered down, too spicy or too astringent and nobody likes bad bloody marys.
One of our favorite aspects of the bloody mary is the personalization that goes with it. Every bartender you meet will have some twist that makes it their own.
But there are some basics.
The traditional bloody mary recipe includes the following basic ingredients:
- Tomato Juice
- Lemon Juice
- Spices: Usually Worcestershire sauce and or hot sauce
- Ice – it’s meant to be drunk on the rocks
- Glass With ice (Highball Glass)
If you want a basic Bloody Mary then these are basics are about all you need.
A Better Bloody Mary
If you want to make a great bloody mary, we recommend going further than just the basic ingredients above.
We have taken some serious time to build the ultimate list of bloody mary ingredients to help you make the perfect Bloody Mary.
We have broken it down into the six main categories of Bloody Mary ingredients:
3. Spices & Seasoning
6. Barware & Equipment
- Hire a bartender to come over and make your drink
- Just order Stu’s This Is Bloody Mary Mix, because the bloody mary mix is already created and most important, it is in the perfect ratio to make sure you get the perfect Bloody Mary every single time.
However, if you’re into self-torture, and like going to the grocery store to hand pick and buy every ingredient yourself…well this is America and we support your right to make your own cocktail.
Section 1: The Right LiquorChose the Right Booze to Make Your Bloody Mary Your Way
- Vodka – The Bloody Mary
- Infused Vodka – Rosemary, peppers, and onions chopped up and thrown in with vodka, soaked for a few days will send any Bloody Mary over the top.
- Want even more flavor? Bacon infused vodka. Done. Might be the most epic of bloody mary vodka ever.
The traditional Bloody Mary’s alcohol is vodka. But many people prefer some of the variations using the liquor we’ve outlined below.
Section 2: Bloody Mary JuiceDon't Neglect This Ingredient
- V8 – Makes it easy
- Other classic Tomato and Vegetable Juice
- Clamato or Clam Juice
- Homemade Tomato Juice – Here’s an easy recipe to make your own tomato juice with a food processor
- Pickle Brine (comes in all Stu’s Mixes)
- Lemon Juice
- Lime Juice
Section 3: Bloody Mary GarnishesYou Can Go Crazy, or Moderate...But the Right Garnish is Vital
The Right Bloody Mary Garnishes
- Pickle Spear
- Whole Pickles
- Celery Stalk
- Pickled Green Bean / Beans
- Lemon Wedge / Wedges
- Lime Wedge / Wedges
- Sea Salt
- Olive / Olives
- Shrimp – Grilled or Chilled
- Caramelized Onion
- Carrot Stick
Excentric Bloody Mary Garnishes:
Some restaurants have made it their mission to go bloody overboard.
- Seafood – Lobster Tail or Scallops
- Slices of Pizza
- BBQ Ribs
- Roasted Chilis
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Section 4: Spices and Bloody Mary Seasoning
Bloody Mary Spices & Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Fennel Seeds
- Hot pepper sauce
- White Pepper
- Steak seasoning
- Worcestershire sauce
- Hot Sauce – if you want traditional, go with sriracha or Tabasco, if you want to mix it up, then go with a chipotle hot sauce.
Section 5: Salt and Rimmers
Section 6: Barwear and EquipmentThe Right Tools to Get the Bloody Job Done
- Stirrer – Stirring is preferred to a shaker. It won’t dilute the tomato juice.
- Skewer – For your garnishes
- Glasses – Preferably a highball glass
- Knife for cutting your garnishes
See..we told you that was a lot. So if you don’t want to go out and buy the massive list of ingredients we have detailed you have a crazy easy and crazy delicious option. Stu’s Bloody Mary Mix!
We know you love Bloody Marys, that’s why we’re friends. And while we know you love Stu’s, you’ve probably tried a few other mixes. That’s ok, so have we.
Have you ever paid attention to what’s in your Bloody Mary mix?
If you take a look at the ingredient list you might be surprised to find that many ingredients are hard to pronounce.
In most Mixes you’ll find things like:
- High Fructose Corn Syrup (Not Good)
- Monosodium Glutamate (also known as MSG = Very Bad)
- Hydrolyzed Corn Protein (an ingredient to disguise it’s really MSG = Very Bad)
- Many other nasty preservatives and processed items.
One of the things that’s important to us is to know what’s in our food and where it comes from. So we keep Stu’s ingredients simple, all natural and transparent about them.
Look at another bloody mary ingredient list, then look at Stu’s.
Stu’s Bloody Mary Mix Ingredients:
Here’s exactly what Stu’s Bloody Mary Mix is made of:
- Pickle brine from hand-packed Midwestern pickles (vinegar, water, salt, spices)
- Other ingredients: white vinegar, molasses, water, sugar, onion, anchovies, garlic, clove, tamarind extract, natural flavorings, chili pepper extract, chili peppers, horseradish, spices, xanthan gum (thickener).
- NO MSG. NO Preservatives. NO Processed Ingredients. NO Chemicals.
T Bloody Mary Mix Ingredients: Mrs
Ingredients: Water, Tomato Concentrate, Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sea Salt, Salt, Spices, Onion Powder, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Paprika, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Ascorbic Acid (to Maintain Color), Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Malic Acid, Caramel Color, Natural Flavors, Molasses, Dextrose, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid. Contains 95% Juice.
Bloody Mary’s can be a great way to get some fruits and veggies
The “right” and “perfect” bloody mary ingredients are all subjective. Taste buds differ…the bloody mary ingredients that we have suggested works for us, hopefully, it works for you too. Let us know!
And you can rest