There is nothing quite like a refreshing Michelada in the warmer months. So when you combine that with passion fruit and some habanero chilies, you may just reach cocktail Nirvana.
If you’re not familiar with a Michelada, it’s basically a Mexican beer with some tomato juice and some spices that are similar to bloody mary seasoning.
If you’re trying to decide which beer to use, any lighter Mexican lager will do. Some of our favorites are Pacifico and Sol.
So if this sounds legit, here’s how to make this fruitee Michelada.
- 3 fresh habanero chilies
- 1 Cup of passion fruit purée
- 4 bottles of Mexican lager (we love Pacifico or Sol)
- Sea Salt for rim
Passion Fruit Purree
- We will start with the passion fruit-habanero purée. First split your habanero peppers and make sure to remove seeds. When you deseed the chilies and cook their flesh it will help to really expose their floral character.
- Fry the peppers them at 375°F for about 1 minute, or until soft.
- Remove from oil to a paper towel–lined plate and pat dry, making sure to remove any extra oil from the flesh of the chilies.
- Combine the drained chilies and take your passion fruit purée and add them both to a blender. Blend the ingredients until the chilies are completely mixed into your puree. This normally will take roughly 1–2 minutes of blending, depending on the blender.
- To store your puree keep covered in the refrigerator. Your puree will keep for up to 1 week.
- Wet the rim of your glass, and add the sea salt rim
- To make your Passion Fruit Michelada, add 1½ ounces of your passion fruit-habanero mix to each of your iced glasses. Top the glass with your Mexican beer of choice and serve immediately.
This recipe was originally from luckypeach.